Sapropel as a highly efficient mineral nutrient is used for all types of soils and all cultures of plants. The fertilizer is applied in order to improve the structure of the soil, enrich it with organic matter, enhance humus content, supply the plants with key nutrients to increase crops yield and quality.
The use of sapropels as mineral fertilizers in agriculture has its own indisputable advantages:
- absolutely free from chemicals and harmful substances;
- no weed seeds, pests and infectious agents;
- during sapropel excavation the pools get rejuvenated by several thousand of years which facilitates the development of the pool and its surrounding environment;
- high absorptive capacity of sapropel purifies the soil from heavy metals, herbicides and other chemical pollutants (it was proven that the plants grown on the soil fertilized by sapropel accumulate heavy metals 1.5 times less than the plants grown without sapropel).
- steady yield increase of about 15-30%;
- decrease of losses in case of draught or high precipitation level;
- fertilizer is much more universal for growing high quality products in comparison with other fertilizers (the quality of the product means its taste, useful properties, vitamins content etc.)
- compatible with mineral fertilizers;
- optimal biological ratio of nutrients prevents "over-fertilizing" or "under-fertilizing" of plants;
- balanced nutrition of the plants with macro- and microelements is ensured by the naturally inhibited solubility of the active substances;
- sapropel improves soil composition and agrochemical properties, activates soil processes by enhancing their water absorption and retention capacities, as well as improving soil aeration.
- being a prolonged fertilizer, sapropel remains efficient for 5 and more years.
Organic matter of sapropels is by 50% composed of humic substances which are beneficial for the soils' nitrogen status. Its mineralization process is slow. Every 30 tons of sapropel increase humus content in average by 0.35%. The phosphorus and potassium content of sapropels is generally low, but these elements are fully taken in by the plants. Sapropels neutralize the reverse acidity and decrease hydrolytic acidity of the soils, significantly enhance their alkali absorption capacity and saturation level. With the increase of colloidal fraction the soil's structuring ability is enhanced, number of water-resistant aggregates in the top soil grows several times, which decreases its density, improves porosity and water absorption capacity.
Nutrients in sapropel are represented in a form hardly accessible for plants, thus the sapropel, while gradually mineralizing, remains active in the soil for many years.
The sapropel's capacity to absorb and retain biological elements dosage creates a favorable agricultural background on the ameliorated plot (5 years and more). It allows obtaining steadily high yields of agricultural crops in comparison with the yield on the non-meliorated soils.
The provided examples clearly prove the immense crops yield enhancement reserves to be utilized by using sapropel fertilizers.